Curved Spine: Spine Disorders and Causes of Spine Abnormalities
The spine, which is also known as the backbone, consists of small bones stacked on top of one another. If you look at a healthy spine from the side, you will see a gentle curve to it. The role of the spine curve is to absorb everyday stress from body gravity and movement. Abnormalities that occur in the spine make the natural curvatures of the spine exaggerated and misaligned in certain areas. These irregularities can lead to spine disorders. At Natural Healing Center of Troy, we offer treatment for spinal issues.
There are three types of spine disorders:
- Lordosis: The spine curves inward at the lower back.
- Kyphosis: Characterized by an abnormally rounded back.
- Scoliosis: With this disorder, the curve is either C-shaped or S-shaped.
All of these disorders can be caused by different health conditions. The most common of these conditions include the following:
- Spine infections
- Spina bifida is a birth defect caused when the spine and spinal cord of the fetus do not form properly in the womb.
- Scheuermann's disease is a spine disorder characterized by a structural deformity of the spine and vertebral bodies.
- Tumors in the spine
- Poor posture
Treatment of a curved spine depends on the severity and cause of the disorder. In most cases, a doctor may recommend the following:
- Taking pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, and acetaminophen.
- Performing exercises. Special stretching exercises can help to relieve the back pain and improve flexibility in the spine.
- Wearing braces. Braces have been proven to be an effective option for treating the improper curvature of the spine, especially in children and teenagers. Also, braces help to stop the progression of a spine disorder if the brace is worn regularly.
- Surgical procedures. Surgery is usually recommended for severe conditions of an improperly curved spine if other treatment methods do not help.
How Can A Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractic care is highly recommended for people suffering from different types of spine disorders because it naturally relieves pain and discomfort. Chiropractors use manual adjustments to manage the symptoms and provide an alternative treatment. Even though chiropractic adjustments cannot cure the curvature of the spine, they can improve the quality of life and promote general healing and well-being.
Chiropractic Care in Troy, MI
At Natural Healing Center of Troy, we provide natural treatment for spinal disorders and other health issues. If you are struggling with back pain, walking, or even breathing, it is recommended to see a chiropractor for a physical examination. Call our chiropractor, Dr. Tina Maruszewski, today at 248-289-6506 to schedule an appointment.